[K12OSN] tentative roadmap, request for input

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Sat May 7 18:00:45 UTC 2005

Hi Shahms!

Actually Matt mentioned the conversation with you and mentioned the fact
that you were working on an "authconfig" type app for Ubuntu.  The whole
winbind thing is valid (I don't use winbind so I'm a little curious as to
why)....an authconfig type app would make it so that folks wouldn't have
to futz around with pam and nsswitch stuff. In fact in Fedora...if you
don't use authconfig...in order to get Samba/LDAP to work you need to edit
/etc/pam.d/system-auth by hand.  Not a big deal, but a pain in the a** for
a newbie.  Maybe we could approach this from a two step process....work
with the existing tools...smbldap-tools....smbldap-installer...and then
work on something such as an authconfig type script/app to finish the
configuration of a Samba/LDAP installer for Ubuntu...then...work on
perhaps a better "network authentication" method like you and Matt
discussed.  Given that a lot of us are now using Samba/LDAP....I see the
need to put a tool in place for this fall.  I'll do what I can (my strong
point is docs and testing).  Thoughts?  Anyone?