[K12OSN] tentative roadmap, request for input

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat May 7 20:14:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 13:00, David Trask wrote:

> The whole
> winbind thing is valid (I don't use winbind so I'm a little curious as to
> why)

Winbind is for people who already have users in a windows domain
controller and want to allow them to log in to Linux with home dirs
created automatically.

> ...in order to get Samba/LDAP to work you need to edit
> /etc/pam.d/system-auth by hand.

Being able to include a stacked set of pam modules like system-auth
without repeating the list in the config for every service was a
Redhat-specific concept.  Debian/Ubuntu may or may not have something
similar.

>  Not a big deal, but a pain in the a** for
> a newbie.  Maybe we could approach this from a two step process....work
> with the existing tools...smbldap-tools....smbldap-installer...and then
> work on something such as an authconfig type script/app to finish the
> configuration of a Samba/LDAP installer for Ubuntu...

The idea should be to be sure all the tools needed are packaged
separately as .rpm and .deb packages, then add the turnkey setup
as additional packages that contain config files and setup scripts
with dependencies for all the other parts.  These will have to be
distribution-specific to account for the differences in config
files and startup scripting.  But, you might be able to get it down
to installing an ldap-server-config or ldap-client-config package
on any compatible system and have it do everything necessary.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com