[K12OSN] tentative roadmap, request for input

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun May 8 16:59:59 UTC 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>> If everything pans out as I expect, Ubuntu version 5.10 will make the
>> current version of K12LTSP largely irrelevant. If this wish comes
>> true, we can devote more resources to the next stage of world
>> domination ;-)
>
> Do you estimate the first version of Ubuntu with K12LTSP integrated will
> reflect its current state or will it hopefully be the first generation of OS
> based off the Muekow Project?

It is based off the Muekow project.

> I know it may be possible but do you think that with the sure approach of
> Ubuntu in the near future, could those building new systems over the summer
> build them with Ubuntu as the base, add LTSP and the K12 packages on it, then
> apt-get upgrade after the newest release in October?  Or will this be a
> drastic enough change that if one plans on following the Ubuntu 5.10 path they
> should hold off until its release?

Generally speaking, if you manually install software then try to upgrade
to a packaged version, you are on your own. There are too many variables
to be able to say whether or not it will work out-of-the-box.

The package manager really needs to know about the software you are
upgrading for it to do its job well. For example, K12LTSP 4.2.1 will
upgrade to K12LTSP 5.0 (or whatever it is called) because LTSP was
installed by the packaging system in 4.2. If you installed LTSP manually
on FC3 and then tried to upgrade to K12LTSP 5.0, /opt/ltsp/i386/ is
likely going to end up a mix of old-style LTSP and muekow-style LTSP
binaries. Yuck.

-Eric