[K12OSN] Providing Services for Windows

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 10:06:37 UTC 2005

If it was me, I would allow this parent to purchase a
license for Windows Terminal Server and run that, but
I wouldn't maintain it.  If the parent wants to
maintain it, then fine.  Otherwise, let the viruses
slowly bring it down.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.  In
this case, if the parent wants it done the way he
thinks is right, then let him do it himself.  But
having Windows in your network doesn't mean you have
to get rid of Linux.

In order to use Windows from your ltsp thin clients,
you need to edit your lts.conf file so it contains
this line:

SCREEN_02 = rdesktop yourservernamehere

Then when the thin client boots up, you'll be faced
with a Linux login window.  But hit ctrl-alt-f2 and
you'll be faced with a Windows Terminal Server login.
Ctrl-alt-f1 gets you back to Linux.  You can use both
systems simultaneously.

-Rob