Re: [K12OSN] Providing Services for Windows

Rob Owens wrote:

If it was me, I would allow this parent to purchase a
license for Windows Terminal Server and run that, but
I wouldn't maintain it. If the parent wants to
maintain it, then fine. Otherwise, let the viruses
slowly bring it down.

The sad part is that this parent understands nothing about networking and computers in general. But I'm up for letting Windows Terminal Server implode.

If you want something done right, do it yourself. In
this case, if the parent wants it done the way he
thinks is right, then let him do it himself. But
having Windows in your network doesn't mean you have
to get rid of Linux. In order to use Windows from your ltsp thin clients,
you need to edit your lts.conf file so it contains
this line:

SCREEN_02 = rdesktop yourservernamehere

Then when the thin client boots up, you'll be faced
with a Linux login window. But hit ctrl-alt-f2 and
you'll be faced with a Windows Terminal Server login. Ctrl-alt-f1 gets you back to Linux. You can use both
systems simultaneously.

This sounds like a very elegant solution, thanks.

-Rob

--- Ken Grant <kmgrant actaccess net> wrote:

Hi all:

Earlier this year a friend and I set up a k12ltsp
network at a local private school. We have one parent, who also writes
grants and has a consulting business, that wants us to move
completely to Windows. This person is completely unreasonable and will not
listen to any of our points as to why Linux is a superior solution.

That said, what I would like to know from you folks
is what is the best way to provide services for the inevitable Windows
programs that will have to be run. We have several teachers who have
programs, mostly K-4, that are only Windows based. For example, Reading
Counts, Math Counts, etc. The science teacher also has one or two
programs she would like to continue using.

Do you know of substitues that are available for the
reading and math programs?

How do you folks handle this situation at your
schools? Does anyone run Win4Lin Terminal Services and is it any good?

Thanks for you thoughts. I am in no mood to throw
out a year's worth of work and fervently believe that k12ltsp is far
superior to anything else available for schools.

Cheers,
Ken

Discover Yahoo! Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/stayintouch.html