Re: [K12OSN] standalone spyware / content filter -- need suggestions

You can have two firewalls with no problems. Matter of fact, it's recommended if you have a publicly-accessible server (web, mail, etc.). The 'space' between the two firewalls is called a DMZ (De-Militarized Zone), and that's where you place your public, internet-accessible servers. The idea is that the first firewall blocks out anyone trying to get in except for the traffic you want to allow, e.g., port 80 so people can get to your webserver. The second firewall, which presumably is set to block all inbound traffic, separates the DMZ-with-webserver from your internal network. That way, if your webserver is compromised, it doesn't make the rest of your internal network vulnerable.

With that in mind, I'd go with the IPCop and Cop+ and just connect the red card to the 'inside' port of your existing firewall, and the green card to your internal network.

HTH

Petre

Rob Owens wrote:
Thanks.

Per your suggestion, I read up a bit on IPCop.  It
looks like it is a complete distribution, is that
right?  So it does not have to be installed "on top
of" Fedora, or Debian, or whatever?

My immediate need is for filtering spyware on a
network that already has a firewall (and some custom
configuration has already been done to allow certain
services).  IPCop says it's a firewall, so I guess
I'll have to choose to use one or the other.  Since
this is the case, would I be better off running a
plain linux install with no firewall and run
Dansguardian?

-Rob

--- Jim Hays <haysja sages us> wrote:

My suggestion would be IPCop and add Cop+. Several
schools that I know of are using this and are very happy with it. The
Cop+ addon will add DansGuardian.

Easy to set up. Easy to manage. I rarely touch
ours and it just plugs away doing its job.

ClarkConnect is another alternative.

Rob Owens wrote:

I've heard a few package names mentioned, like
Dansguardian, but I was wondering if somebody could
suggest the easiest one to use.  The goal is mostly

stop spyware.  It will be a standalone box that
doesn't need to run any other apps.  Perhaps

there's

even a distro out there that is specifically

designed

for this kind of thing, I don't know. Any help

would

be appreciated.  I've never set one of these things
up, so I'd prefer something that is 90% effective

but

intuitive to set up, over something that is 95%
effective but difficult to configure.

Thanks

-Rob

Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the

tour:

Jim Hays, Technology Coordinator
Monticello CUSD#25
#2 Sage Drive