[K12OSN] Multiple LTSP servers on a single subnet?

Casey Woods casey.woods at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:43:15 UTC 2005

I will have both students and staff using thin clients and they will all
be on the same IP subnet.  This subnet is dedicated to thin client
traffic.  I would like to connect two LTSP servers to the subnet and
somehow control which server the clients connect to on a client by
client basis (students to one server and staff to the other).  I'm
assuming that there is some way to do this with MAC addresses?

Here's why I want to do this:  I have a single gigabit fiber connection
between two buildings.  I want to consolidate all my LTSP servers in
building A.  The thin clients are in building B.  Best case scenario
would have me light up another fiber connection so that I can run two
subnets.  I have the extra fiber strands, but I'm try to avoid that
added expense.

I'm open to any and all ideas!

Thanks,
Casey Woods