[K12OSN] Multiple LTSP servers on a single subnet?

Casey Woods casey.woods at gmail.com
Thu May 12 19:32:29 UTC 2005

Thanks for all the input!

I'm in a fortunate situation in that I have Gigabit fiber connecting the
buildings and I have spare strands if I need to add another few
connections.  I'm just trying not to because Gigabit media converters
are expensive!

I'm not sure why I didn't think of VLANs before.  I don't think that I'm
going to be hurting for bandwidth so I think that is the route that I
will take.  It will mean having to buy a couple of managed 10/100/1000
switches for each end of the fiber, but that is cheaper than adding more
fiber connections.  And probably more flexible in the long run.  I'm not
too concerned about saturating the fiber for now.

So I'll setup a VLAN for the staff, and a VLAN for the students and then
trunk them across the Gigabit fiber.  On the other end I'll plug the
VLAN ports into the appropriate LTSP servers.  Seems easy enough.

I'll do just about anything to avoid having to run between the schools.
It gets real cold up here in Canada during the winter and it's not a
short walk...

This is actually part of a huge transition that we're doing.  We're
moving 220+ windows desktops over to thin clients this summer.

Thanks again,
Casey Woods