[K12OSN] Multiple logins: Ha Ha I logged you out!

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Sat May 14 04:09:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 13:28 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> I know this has come up before but I don't remember a good solution. I
> have offered to hold a K12ltsp workshop for my district and I know the
> issue of multiple logins is going to come up.
>
> Right now all my own students have their own username/passwords. But
> classes that visit the lab use generic logins like comp1, comp2, comp3
> etc.. and the password is the same for these generic usernames.
>
> I have set PURGE_PROCESS=YES in /etc/sysconfig/k12kltsp to prevent
> multiple logins.
>
> However, how do you prevent users (kids) from logging each other out
> when they realize that if they use another username their friend gets
> kicked off.
>
> I feel like we really need a solution for this problem. If we find a
> solution we should put it on the wiki or incorporate it into the
> distro.

Define min UID as 600 in the file:
/etc/login.defs

Then for all UID's below 600 the purge script will not work. We use this
to define admin users and regular users. Admin users are allowed to
login multiple times.

Alternatively /usr/sbin/purge_user needs to be modified so that it only
picks up UID's above 600.

HTH

--
Sudev Barar