[K12OSN] OT: BackupPC

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun May 15 05:20:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 20:58, Carl Keil wrote:

> I'm asking this here because I know there are some BackupPC mavens on
> this list.  Also, I'm installing on top of a k12ltsp install.

A k12ltsp install would be the same as the equivalent fedora version.

> Does anyone know an easy way to get this going?  I'm having to do a lot
> of make installs, etc. and I'm worried that I'm missing some super easy
> yummified way of doing this.

There may be an rpm version somewhere, but I don't think it is up
to date.

>  Plus, I'm theoretically all done with the
> install and nothing is working.  The BackupPC docs are full of typos, so
> I'm getting a little confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'd like
> to be able to use the cgi interface.  A quick checklist perhaps?  I did
> the minimal "server" install from the k12ltsp 4.2.1 disks, so that' my
> starting point.  I had to install perl, Archive, Compress, etc. from
> scratch.

Perl should have already been part of your k12ltsp install, and the
needed perl modules could have been installed with the perl
CPAN module easier than doing it by hand - type:
perl -MCPAN -eshell (you can usually answer 'no' to the first time
question about setup and just go with the defaults).  Than at the
CPAN prompt enter
install module_name
and 'quit' when done.
If you followed the instructions to create a backuppc user to own
everything, you may be having apache permission problems caused
by selinux.  Turn it off.  Also, you need the setuid version of
perl.  'yum install perl-suidperl' if you are using the stock version
of perl or compile with that option if you really built your own.
Look in /var/log/httpd/error_log to see what problem you are having
if it still doesn't work.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com