[K12OSN] [Fwd: K12OSN Digest, Vol 15, Issue 26]

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon May 16 04:05:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 12:54, Carl Keil wrote:

> Is there a quick way to add clients to be backed up?  I'm wondering if
> you have an example of the config needed to backup the entire home and
> etc directories of a k12ltsp server, for example?  Have you ever backed
> up any os x macs using this?  Any gotchas there?

You need to add the machines to the conf/hosts file and set up the
backup method and target directories in conf/config.pl for the first
or what you expect to be the most common type.  I usually back up up the
whole machine because the compression and file pooling makes the /bin,
/lib, etc. take up very little extra space.  However, I do add the
--one-file-system option to the tar or rsync commands (to keep from
wandering into NFS or CD mount points) and specify each filesystem
separately.  If you do this, be sure that you understand that new mount
points have to added to the config to be backed up.
Using rsync, the parts you change might be something like:

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/proc','/var/spool/squid','slocate.db'];
$Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsync';
$Conf{RsyncShareName} = ['/', '/boot', '/var', '/home'];
$Conf{RsyncArgs} = [
            #
            # Do not edit these!
            #
            '--numeric-ids',
            '--perms',
            '--owner',
            '--group',
            '--devices',
            '--links',
            '--times',
            '--block-size=2048',
            '--recursive',
            #
            # Add additional arguments here
            #
            '--one-file-system',
            '--exclude=/var/spool/squid',
            '--exclude=slocate.db',
            '--exclude=/proc',
];

I haven't backed up mac clients myself but it has been discussed on the
mail list.  Using normal tar/rsync will lose the resource fork info, but
there is a modified tar (xtar, I think) that will work and directions
for setting it up should be in the backuppc mail list archives.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com