[K12OSN] ot BackupPC linux client setup

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon May 16 13:10:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 06:00, Mark Gumprecht wrote:
> I've had no problems with the windows setup with rsynd, but I can not
> seem to get the rsync to work on the linux client. Does any one have a
> howto on this? I have tried the online docs 3 times and can not seem to
> get it to work.

You can run a standalone rsync daemon on Linux too, but the normal
way is to run it over ssh.  You first need to set up the ssh
keys for passwordless remote execution, and the place most people
go wrong with backuppc is doing this as root on the server side.
You need to run as the backuppc user when generating your keys
but add them to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys2 on the remote side.
Test by executing as the backuppc user:
ssh -lroot target_client id
You should get a prompt about an unrecognized host the first
time you do this, then it should work with no prompts.  When
it reports your id as root, backuppc should be able to run
backups with tar or rsync.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com