[K12OSN] intergrating k12ltsp

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue May 17 17:51:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 11:42, mike webb wrote:
>   what i have now:
>
> a dsl modem that acts as a dhcp server, our address range is
> 192.168.3.10 – 192.168.3.255
>
> the dsl modems address is 192.168.3.7
>

> an as400 mainframe that we connect to via frame relay,its address is
> 10.0.0.2 , it has a gateway address of 192.168.3.1. all the windows
> machines that must be able to reach the as400 and the internet have a
> little batch file that i created to run on startup. the batch file reads
> as so.
>
> route add 0.0.0.0 192.168.3.7
>
> route add 10.0.0.2 192.168.3.1
>

> what i've added lately:
>
> one of the ethernet lines from the dsl modem runs into eth1 of an
> k12ltsp server, it gives the server an “outside” address of
> 192.168.3.208. coming out of eth0 is a line which runs to a switch and
> branches out to 4 other computers, all of these computers are running
> cygwin.
>
> the installation of the k12ltsp is totally stock, so eth0 is set to
> 192.168.0.254. and it hands out the ip addresses for the 4 terminals
>

> we've been testing k12ltsp now for three or four weeks and thinks this
> system rocks. but i have to make changes to the system that i don't
> think i can't do alone. this is what i would like to be able to do. we
> all need to be on one network 192.168.3.*** . the k12ltsp server has an
> address of 192.168.3.208, it has no internal ethernet card. every
> computer within our factory can access the k12ltsp server via cygwin we
> would use the command xwin -query 192.168.3.208. as cygwin starts up the
> k12ltsp server needs to be able to tell cygwin that to reach the
> internet go out thru 192.168.3.7 but to reach address 10.0.0.2 (as400)
> go out thru 192.168.3.1. with windows i use the route add command, were
> do i put that in ltsp ??

>From the command line:
route add -host 10.0.0.2 gw 192.168.3.1
and you could add that to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to run at bootup or
just add the route with the network GUI setup program.

>  if i can get that to work then ibm has some
> software that will allow me to do 5250 terminal emulation on linux, i
> could load that program in and access the as400 with an ltsp terminal.

> does anyone think they can help me or perhaps know a better way to do
> this ???

Do you control the dsl router?  The simple way to handle extra routes
is to add them to the router that everything else uses as the
default.

Alternatively, you could put 2 nics in the k12ltsp server and put
it between the dsl router and the rest of the network. However,
then you either have to change the subnet address on the DSL
router or everything else.  Then the k12ltsp server could do
dhcp and be the default gateway for everything else, and only
it would need the route to the mainframe.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com