Re: [K12OSN] New Install ? on Switch

On May 18, 2005, at 5:41 PM, <hoffmann fidnet com> wrote:

Or, maybe I should start with one classroom and one server before I get

myself into this too deep?  Again, I'm open to all suggestions.

If the 3 rooms are adjacent, and there isn't any existing wiring (no server room, etc) -- I think the shoestring budget method would be to put the server in the middle room.  Attach the server to the 16 port switch in there, and send 1 line to each of the other 2 rooms.

If you can afford it, the middle room (with the server) would benefit from a gigabit ethernet card, and if the switch had 3 gigabit ports (one for the server, and one for each of the other 2 rooms) performance would be best.

Also, the other rooms would need (1) gigabit port in order to take advantage of the speed.

-Shawn