[K12OSN] Re: intergrating k12ltsp

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu May 19 05:03:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 15:27, mike webb wrote:

> > man, i really having a hard time figuring out the proper way to reply
> > to a mail list thread that i started, can someone explain how i
> > "reply" when someone has replyed to a question i posted ??  hope this
> > gets out to everyone.

Normally you just hit 'reply' or 'reply all'.  Somehow you got
an extra set of >'s added.  Are you getting a digest copy instead
of individual messages?

> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> > route add -host 10.0.0.2 gw 192.168.3.1
> > and you could add that to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to run at bootup or
> > just add the route with the network GUI setup program.
> >
> > Thanks dude, i was close, i tried on the command line; route add
> > default gw 192.168.3.1 eth1 and it worked. but i noticed that my
> > internet connection on the ltsp side was running real slow. the way
> > you told me to use the route command works alot better, i've added the
> > line to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. won't have a chance to reboot and
> > test it till tommorrow thou.

You want the default to go to the internet via the DSL router.

> > Do you control the dsl router?  The simple way to handle extra routes
> > is to add them to the router that everything else uses as the
> > default.
> > Alternatively, you could put 2 nics in the k12ltsp server and put
> > it between the dsl router and the rest of the network. However,
> > then you either have to change the subnet address on the DSL
> > router or everything else.  Then the k12ltsp server could do
> > dhcp and be the default gateway for everything else, and only
> > it would need the route to the mainframe.
> >
> > no Les the dsl router controls me. it's easy to access it's on-board
> > web server by simple placing the address 192.168.3.7 in the url box of
> > your
> > favorite broswer. the only problem is that i don't get a reply (a
> > problem for another day).

The question is, can you add the route to the mainframe to it?  Then
everything else can use it as the default route and not need to know
anything else.

> > i think i would really rather have the dsl router hand out the ip
> > addresses.  k12ltsp is still being tested and i'm not willing just yet
> > to had over a
> > critial job to it.

I've had a Linux dhcp server running for years - it is very reliable.

> > i'm really thinking about the one nic idea. i'm
> > sure i don't really understand the problem with just using one nic.

The biggest problem is that you can only have one dhcp server
running per network.  That means that if keep running it on the
dsl router you'll have to figure out how to make it send the
extra options you need for net booting.  It probably can do
it if you can find the right place for the settings.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com