To: "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 4:12 PM
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] New Install ? on Switch

Hi Karen,

If you will have a server in each room, then 3 switches is the obvious

choice. Make sure you get a switch, not a hub. Switches route data more efficiently than hubs. A 16-port switch will give you room to grow in each room, and can be purchased for less than $50.00 each.

If you are using a single server for all three rooms, you will need to run

a cable from each room to your server location. A 4th switch may be needed (could be a small, 4-port) to connect each room's feed cable to the server. If this is the route you are going make sure to get a switch that has a feature called 'Auto MDX'. This lets you connect standard patch cables to the switch without worrying about crossover cables.

If you can provide more specifics about your setup, I can make

recommendations.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

William