[K12OSN] Multimedia

Casey Woods casey.woods at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:33:16 UTC 2005

The administration at my school is really keen on going big time with
LTSP technology.  We have a great network (Gbit backbone with 100 Mbit
to every desktop) so we have lots of bandwidth.  I also have a pretty
decent budget for buying a bunch of dual Opteron servers.

Here's my problem:  The students aren't just using the current Windows
2000 PCs for Word and email (mostly P3s with 128MB ram).  The school has
access to a bunch of web-based multimedia resources (streaming video and
audio).  The concern is that we'll have to take that away if we move to
thin clients.

Suggestions?  Would a NoMachine client running locally do the trick?  If
I have tons of bandwidth will this run okay if I'm running rdesktop
locally and run everything off my MS terminal server?  Could I run
Firefox and the required media player(s) as local apps?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Casey Woods