[K12OSN] XSERVER differences between 4.1 to 4.2.1

Dr. Daniel Loomis drloomis at cox-internet.com
Sat May 21 19:26:10 UTC 2005

I am curious as to what has changed in the client configs for X11
between K12LTSP 4.1 and 4.2.1?

After doing a fresh install of 4.2.1 on our server everything was
working satisfactorily except the video for our ThinkNIC clients.  In
version 3.1 "auto" was less than satisfactory, necessitating use of the
old Xvesa driver for those clients.

I was pleasantly surprised when with K12LTSP-4.1 I was able to use:

 XSERVER = auto

for all of our ThinkNIC clients equipped with Viewsonic E70 monitors
without resorting to special modelines or any other kludges.

Now, with version 4.2 the same clients have serious video flutters and
smearing using the default XSERVER settings.

I fixed the problem using amlc-linux-x86-bin to create specific
modelines for the Viewsonic monitors, adding the following line
to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf:

Modeline "1024x768"   87.00 1024 1096 1200 1352  768  769  772  818

Since I have not had to do that in any previous versions of k12ltsp, my
question again is:  What has changed?

Dan