[K12OSN] OT - OSX Roaming Profile dilemma

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon May 23 14:29:45 UTC 2005

Seeing these other posts on instructions reminded me of a problem I have
been trying to solve for laptop users.  So I figured I'd post here quick
to see if anyone has some advice.

The roaming profiles working in this fashion for users that remain on
campus at all times is perfect.  The NFS mounting makes for fast access
and doesn't make you wait for docs and such to transfer on login/logout.
But then there are laptop users.  For some silly reason they want to
take the machines home to work on things.  When they get home the only
account on the laptop in my setup is an Admin account to which I won't
give them a password (even temporarily).  So you can imagine the dismay
our laptop users will have next fall when they are told they can take
the laptops home but can't use them.

So.  I need a way to possibly setup a local account on the laptops that
will sync with the roaming account from the LDAP server.  The sync needs
to occur on login/logout.  Ultimately I would like them to log into the
roaming profile at all times when on campus, and only the local profile
when at home.

Any suggestions?

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department