[K12OSN] Print Quota

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue May 24 13:45:20 UTC 2005

David Trask wrote:
> According to something I read....PyKota also supports using LDAP in leiu
> of Postgres....can anyone attest to this?  If I'm running a Samba/LDAP
> server with all of my users on it....it makes sense for me to simply use
> that for authentication for printing.  Anyone?
>

> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 8:45 AM +0000 wrote:
>
>>I've just setup Pykota using my existing `Sandbox` Samba3 / LDAP server
>>built using Fedora Core 3 as
>>the backend and I looks like it should be quite good. We paid the $25 to
>>get the latest tar's / rpms
>>but the most important bit of that is the documentation, it's not
>>brilliant but I managed to get it
>>working !!!
>>
>>We use all HP printers so this might help as they seem to be really well
>>supported, we'll the 2100's
>>and 6P's we have are.
>>
>>I'm in the process of rebuilding all our Cups servers and I'm intending
>>to have pykota install on
>>all of them reporting back to a central Postgre server.
>>
>>The nice thing I have found with Pykota is that you can have both an
>>unmanaged print queue as well
>>as a pykota manager queue on the same machine to the same printer so I'm
>>hoping to roll the servers
>>out with auditing but if it all goes wrong I can switch to the standard
>>CUPS install without the end
>>users knowing all you have to alter is the port setup in the CUPS web
>>interface.
>>
>>I've got really really rough notes one installing pykota on Fedora Core 3
>>if anyone is interested.
>>It's just a list of the packages I had to install and files to fiddle
>>with.
>

> David N. Trask
> Technology Teacher/Coordinator
> Vassalboro Community School
> dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
> (207)923-3100

Your correct you can use LDAP BUT this look's really complicated as it's used to store all the
records of who's printed what etc and looks like it'll put a big strain on the LDAP server. What I'm
planning to do is retrieve user info etc from the Samba 3 / LDAP server but store all the printing
info in a seperate Postgre SQL backend

This is lifted straight from pytota docs'

With an LDAP backend, PyKota will need some branches in your LDAP directory to put its own datas.
You can configure PyKota to either attach its datas to your existing users and groups, or to put
them in
their own ou. But some ous dedicated to PyKota are needed in any case, so the best bet may be to put
all
PyKota’s datas below an ou=PyKota branch. While this will separate these datas from your existing
users and groups entries, this may ease the maintainance.
PyKota needs at least an ou for printers, for users quotas, for groups quotas, for print jobs, and for
pointers to the last job of each printer. In the future, this last ou may disappear as its content will
probably be attached to each printer.
Actually PyKota doesn’t create these ous for you, because it’s difficult to guess what is the best
configuration for you. So you have to create them by yourself, either directly with a text editor
and the
ldapadd command, or with some specialized tool like gq. You can look at the
initscripts/ldap/pykota-sample.ldif file to see which minimal branches are necessary.
Note: If you use RPM or DEB packages, usually the pykota-sample.ldif file is installed into the
/usr/share/pykota/ldap directory, along with a README file.

Brian