Re: [K12OSN] Suggestions for a LTSP Demo

The issue is not whether they have money or not, it is how the money is spent. Emphasize that every dollar spent buying a client license or an office license is a dollar - what is the name of Singapore's currency? - that cannot be spent on textbooks, paper, teacher salaries, etc.

What applications does the school use now? Show open source, Linux applications that are comparable. Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, GIMP. Consider a network with 100 clients. Show the cost of 100 client licenses for MS Server, MS Office, and Adobe Photoshop. Then show the cost of 100 client licenses for K12LTSP, Firefox, Thuderbird, Open Office, and GIMP. Don't discount the cost factor. Even if the schools are wealthy, they can spend their money on other thinks. Computers aren't everything - even though they are pretty close for many of us on this list:)

Harish Pillay wrote:

Hi.  I have an opportunity to help educate a bunch of school
teachers about Linux, Open Source and copyright/licensing
issues. These teachers are the ones looking after IT related
stuff in Singapore schools.  The event is to be held on June
2nd.

Instead of those topics (or perhaps in addition to), I am thinking
of showcasing LTSP. I have their time from 9am till noon and
they will be in a lab with machines and I am thinking of preparing a server (could be my laptop - a Dell D600) to be
the server. I reckon about 20 teachers will be attending.

I would like to hear from list members on best practises for
demos.

I have invited LUGS (www.lugs.org.sg) for volunteers and they
are fothcoming offering hardware and time.

In order to make a good and positive impression with these
teachers (who probably have never seen a Linux desktop and
probably do not even know of Linux), what are the top 5 things
that we must show in the LTSP demo?  Do remember that
these schools are not short of funds and the Singapore Ministry
of Education (www.moe.gov.sg) has the tax dollars to pay the
Micro$oft tax - but I want to curtail/reduce that.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Harish Pillay
ps:  I helped establish LUGS back in 1993 and am currently
employed by Red Hat in Singapore, but this is an effort
independent of Red Hat per se.