[K12OSN] Logins from Cygwin sloooow

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed May 25 13:18:49 UTC 2005

Does this slowdown even happen on your laptop or just when connecting from one of the
three new Windows boxes?  If it's just the latter, could it be related to the server
trying to do a reverse DNS lookup on the clients, which don't have an entry in the DNS,
and eventually the server gives up and lets the connection go through?  I've seen this
kind of behavior several times over the years, where a client with a static address
connects to a server and service with no problem, but clients that get addresses via
DHCP have trouble, because they don't have an entry in the reverse DNS table.

Or maybe not.

Petre