[K12OSN] wine problems

V D vteech4 at yahoo.ca
Wed May 25 16:54:04 UTC 2005

I've now experienced this problem on two different
machines (one a dual opteron 250, the other an athlon
3200).

On the dual opteron... I "upgraded" wine by
uninstalling an old version using rpm -e wine then
installing the new rpm.

On the athlon 3200... new clean install and installed
the april version of wine...

in both cases, wine works fine when logged in as root
but if I log in as a different user I get the
following message when running wine from the console:

wine: failed to initialize:
/usr/local/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so: failed to map segm
ent from shared object: Cannot allocate memory

I've seen earlier messages on this list which refer to
this error but no suggested solutions...

I've tried the athlon, i386 versions as well as the
original i686 version.

Dan V