[K12OSN] schoolbell

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:45:21 UTC 2005

On 5/26/05, Mark Gumprecht <gumprechtm at msln.net> wrote:
> Ok,
> I did not catch the more button before. That works and allows me to view
> the others calendar. But if I click on the persons header to get to the
> list of users and select the user, under the actions menu, I do not get
> the view calendar option. I received that option once and thoght that
> was a normal thing, but I can not duplicate that again.

Hi Mark,

First off, thanks for taking the time to try out SchoolBell.

If you're viewing a person, and you have permission to also see their
calendar, you should see the 'View calendar' option.  But the way it
is set up now, users don't automatically get permission to see each
other's calendars.  Whether or not this is the best default setting,
especially for non-schools is debatable, but I guess it reflects the
relatively high level of paranoia you have to cultivate when you're
writing apps like this for schools.

I am, at this very moment, working on some detailed screencast-type
documentation on setting up and using SchoolBell.  The access control
is the trickiest part of that task as well, but it should be helpful
and finished for the Tuesday release.

Anyhow, if you want all your users to see each other's calendars, turn
on the 'View calendar' permission for 'Authenticated users.'

--Tom