Re: [K12OSN] Suggested fix for Wine

Trond Mæhlum wrote:
tor, 26,.05.2005 kl. 09.18 -0400, skrev Gideon Romm:

ulimit applies to processes, not users.  As long as it is set
in /etc/profile (and not unset elsewhere), it should limit the memory
for any process launched.

I don't know anything about that, but the scenario is this:

When logged in as user, wine fails with the message below. When I type
ulimit -a it says virtual memory 600000. ulimit -v unlimited cannot be
executed as normal user. This is the same wheter ulimit -v unlimited is
set in /etc/profile, /etc/rc.local or not set at all.

When logged in as root, wine also fails with the same message. When I
type ulimit -a it also says virtual memory 600000. But now I can run
ulimit -v unlimited, and execute wine, and it works.

On my Debian box at home, I just ran ulimit -a as myself. It showed
virtual memory unlimited.

Is the 600000 limit a redhat thing? If so it should be possible to alter it for normal user as well?

Trond

After editing your /etc/profile and/or /etc/rc.local, did you reboot?

-Eric