[K12OSN] Suggested fix for Wine

Trond Mæhlum trond at mahlum.biz
Fri May 27 08:45:33 UTC 2005

tor, 26,.05.2005 kl. 22.36 +0200, skrev Trond Mæhlum:
> tor, 26,.05.2005 kl. 12.35 -0700, skrev Eric Harrison:
> > Trond Mæhlum wrote:

> > > I don't know anything about that, but the scenario is this:
> > >
> > > When logged in as user, wine fails with the message below. When I type
> > > ulimit -a it says virtual memory 600000. ulimit -v unlimited cannot be
> > > executed as normal user. This is the same wheter ulimit -v unlimited is
> > > set in /etc/profile, /etc/rc.local or not set at all.
> > >
> > > When logged in as root, wine also fails with the same message. When I
> > > type ulimit -a it also says virtual memory 600000. But now I can run
> > > ulimit -v unlimited, and execute wine, and it works.
> > >
> > > On my Debian box at home, I just ran ulimit -a as myself. It showed
> > > virtual memory unlimited.
> > >

> > > Is the 600000 limit a redhat thing? If so it should be possible to alter
> > > it for normal user as well?
> > >
> > > Trond
> > >

> > After editing your /etc/profile and/or /etc/rc.local, did you reboot?
>
> Yes
>
> Trond

I have some more information on this now. I reinstalled my testserver
today. I started with a clean RHEL4 install. Then installed wine, and it
worked fine for my user. I also checked ulimit -a and it shows unlimited
virtual memory for my user. I did nothing to /etc/profile
or /etc/rc.local.

I then apt-get installed the k12ltsp EL packages. I ran the initialize
script and rebooted my server. Now wine does not work anymore, and
ulimit -a shows virtual memory limited to 600000.

So it would seem that the wine trouble is caused by someting pulled in
by the k12ltsp packages. But what?

What in the k12ltsp packages sets virtual memory limit to 600000?

Trond