[K12OSN] killing Active Directory - direction needed for Samba/LDAP instal

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Nov 1 14:57:23 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, November 01, 2005 at 4:08 AM +0000 wrote:
>It would be quite nice if the installer could offer the option to setup
>the machine as a BDC /
>SlaveLDAP server. I've setup several machine as slave's and it's reduced
>the load on our main LDAP
>server hugely. If you'd like to read what I've done have a look at
>http://www.chivers.info/Samba3-OpenLDAP-slave-server-config.html

Awesome idea...this is one of the things Matt and I talked about and
referred to the work you've done already.  I have a few questions for you.
 First of all...scripting the choice of Main LDAP or Slave LDAP should be
easy....it's simply a "fork" in the script....kind of an "if" "else"
scenario.  My question is this.....are you doing this over a WAN....do you
have multiple locations?  A Campus....or more spread out?  One domain?  Do
the home directories live only on the Main LDAP server or are you keeping
groups on different servers....????  How are you doing the home
directories?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School