[K12OSN] Autoconfiguring Proxy settings without visiting each machine or use of loginscripts

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 19:27:30 UTC 2005

I've had a proxy.pac file kicking around for a while that I created
using info I read on the censornet forum. I've been thinking about how
to use it for a while now without reconfiguring machine. Currently I use
a login script to force the settings but we are setting up a couple of
open hotspots outside of our network so login scripts aren't an option
but I need to enforce proxy settings to control access slightly. I'd
almost forgotten about the proxy.pac file until I was looking through
some stuff on the smoothwall.org forum. I found a link about setting up
auto proxy config and how to completely automate it.

Have a look at this link as a start

http://www.wlug.org.nz/WPAD

The long and short of it is, create your proxy.pac file but save it as
wpad.dat. Upload the file onto a server running something like apache
into the root of your webserver. Add a mime type in a similar fashion to
the .pac file but for .dat. Make sure you can access this file by
pointing your browser at it. Now comes the bit I hadn't done or read
about before Surprised

Create a CNAME entry in your DNS for wpad.yourdomain.com to the server
that you uploaded the file to.

Now when you tick the auto detect proxy settings in IE or Firefox it
should look for wpad.yourdomain.com/wpad.dat and configure the browser
for you.

Only tried it on IE quickly but seems to work. I expect most of you have
already seen this but I thought there might be a few people out there
that like me hadn't :-)

Hope it helps someone

Brian