[K12OSN] School administration software

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Wed Nov 2 02:04:43 UTC 2005

Dave,

>From experience, I would personally say there are no real production stable
open source equivalent Student Information System databases out there yet.
People will talk about Centre and OpenAdmin as solutions...but they didn't
even come close to the needs we had in our school district.

I wholeheartedly recommend PowerSchool or iPASS (which runs on a Linux
server) because they are web based and any computer running that has access
to the Internet can access the database. They aren't platform dependent
systems. The way to go is web based if you can go that route. Besides, for
some things open source isn't the answer. I would rather trust a name brand
that offered technical support tailored to my personal technical problems
and whitepapers with my Student Information System than open source
community with threads that I can post too and hope I get help.

I am all about open source and Linux, but some things just aren't ready.
Sorry open source advocates.

Hope this helps.

-Paul

Paul VanGundy