[K12OSN] dhcpd.conf trouble

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Nov 4 20:07:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 12:53, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> P.S. If you know of a good tutorial on VLANs, please send me a link, I
> must have been dozing off when that was covered :-)

VLANs basically add a small header around the normal ethernet header
to tag packets so they can be isolated.  Sometimes the router/switch
equipment does all of the management, exposing only a single VLAN
on each connection; sometimes you use a trunk connection to other
vlan-aware equipment which then can appear to have multiple virtual
interfaces fron the single physical connection.  I don't think it
is documented very well but Linux is supposed to be able to handle
vlan trunks and sub-interfaces.  But, the point of running the phones
on a different VLAN would be to isolate the traffic physically so
in this case you probably want the switch or router to do it instead
of carrying them over to the server on the same trunk.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com