[K12OSN] website blocking

Will Hatch fhkms at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 10 13:45:40 UTC 2005

I have Dansguardian and Squid running directly off of my K12ltsp server.
Here are the steps I took to get it going:

1. click "desktop" then "system settings" then "server settings" then
"services"
2. log in as root, if you are not already
3. in the service configuration window, make sure the Dansguardian and
Squid boxes are checked.  Then "file" and "save" the configuration.
Then "start". If Dansguardian and Squid do not show up in the selection
of programs listed in service configuration, then use the original
k12ltsp cds and install them (or download the rpm from the internet)
4. Reboot the server so the changes can take affect.
5. open your internet browser (mozilla, konquerer)
6. THIS IS KEY!  click "edit" then "preferences" then "general".  Open
"connection settings".  select "manual proxy".  type in "localhost"
where it says http, then under port type in "8080"
7. you can add any sites you want to be unfiltered at the bottom of this
window.
8. Check your filter by trying to surf an inappropriate site!

This worked for me.  The filter isn't perfect of course (no substitute
for supervision).