[K12OSN] rsync help

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Nov 11 16:41:45 UTC 2005

On Friday November 11 2005 10:41 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 08:27, Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
> > > http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/SSHwithoutPasswor
> > >ds
> > >
> > > & this one
> > >
> > > http://dsg.port.ac.uk/~rjb/misc/howto/ssh/index.php
> > >
> > > The second one makes more sense if you've read the first one first :-)
> > >
> > > Brian
> >
> > I must be a complete moron, because even though I followed these latest
> > how-to's to the letter, I'm still prompted for a password.  What in the
> > world am I doing wrong?
>
> First make sure that you are doing the setup and operation as the
> same user. Ssh is very picky about $HOME/.ssh/* being owned by the right
> person, having the correct permissions, and not having any directories
> above writable by others.  Try an 'ssh -v' with the same user(s) and
> you may see a reason for the failure.
>
> --
>  Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

Les,

The v switch was helpful.  Here's the output (sorry for the length):

[rsync at norwell rsync]$ ssh -v hingham
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
debug1: Connecting to hingham [192.168.1.3] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/rsync/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/rsync/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /home/rsync/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Host 'hingham' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/rsync/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Trying private key: /home/rsync/.ssh/identity
debug1: Offering public key: /home/rsync/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Offering public key: /home/rsync/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: password
rsync at hingham's password:

I note that neither RSAAuthentication or DSAAuthentication appear (actually, I
don't know if they're supposed to appear).  I did add lines in sshd_config to
enable them.  Does this output give you any clues.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.