[K12OSN] verynice: Process measurement too slow error in log

Steve Knopik steve at sierra-computer.com
Fri Nov 11 20:25:48 UTC 2005

Today all terminals locked up. I noticed the hard drive light on the
server was on solid.  I was unable to login to the server when directly
connected to the server. This went on for about 15 - 20 min. Finally I
was able to login to the server and I checked the logs to see what had
just happened.

I found the following message in the messages log file:

Nov 11 09:59:31 Enterprise verynice: Process measurement too slow
Nov 11 10:00:34 Enterprise verynice: Process measurement too slow
Nov 11 10:00:42 Enterprise gdm[17795]: Ping to ws002.:0 failed, whacking
display!
Nov 11 10:01:15 Enterprise gconfd (julie-17923): Received signal 15,
shutting down cleanly

When the server finally settled down everything was back to normal. I
noticed that Calvin Park had a similar experience back in January 2005.
I didn't see a solution to his post on the list. Does anyone know what
happened? Our server has been running great with about 135 days of uptime.

Steve Knopik
steve at sierra-computer.com