[K12OSN] oidentd help

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Tue Nov 15 18:16:58 UTC 2005

I'm running K12LTSP 4.4.1 and having a problem with oidentd. I've
actually had this problem with previous versions of K12LTSP, but it is
now significantly worse.

My terminal server is a dual 2.8GHz Xeon with 4GB RAM that typically
supports about 40 concurrent users running a mix of programs with ease.

However, when a lab full of kids starts surfing, the load average
skyrockets and the machine becomes unusable. The load average hit 78
something today due to oidentd going crazy. I was able to stop oidentd,
the machine instantly became usable again and the load average dropped
back to 1 something.

I need to use oidentd so that DansGuardan will log usernames.
DansGuardian and Squid are running on a separate machine with no
performance problems.

I don't know how to fix this. Do I need to do some tweaking to oidentd
on the terminal server or is there something I need to do with the
DansGuardian / Squid machine?

I'm sure someone out there has a setup similar to mine.

Please send suggestions if you have any.

Thanks,
George

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>