[K12OSN] K12LTSP wireless?

Andrew Fisk andy at spitcomp.com
Thu Nov 17 15:51:20 UTC 2005

Getting the cards to work on the server should be fairly straight
forward -- you could even buy PCI cards with PCMCIA slots which would
broaden the range of hardware supported -- and there are plenty of
wireless terminals around --  but they tend to be sold  to do a
specific task like collect inventory info  (fire up your wifi out
side a Wal-Mart) or handle a credit card transaction -- you might be
able to repurpose a Point of Sale Terminal, but you could buy miles
of cat 5 for the cost differential between those and old desktops
(which you should be able to get pretty much for free).

Although it would be a neat project -- where are you trying to get
to?  If you really need wireless you might do better to hard wire a
"pod" of 3 or 4 desktops to a small wireless access point and connect
the server the same way if you have to -- you would still suffer from
the bandwidth issues already mentioned, but at least you could to a
standard client and server install.

Thanks

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services