[K12OSN] NFS Mount /home....Users Menus missing

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Nov 18 14:53:20 UTC 2005

> That part still doesn't make sense unless root isn't root.  Can you
> log in as root, cd to the mounted home dir and create and chown files?
>
> Anyway you should be able to unmount home, create a user locally,
> cp -a that home director to /tmp, mount /home and put it back
> with cp -a.
>
> Did you disable SELinux on both boxes?

I have always disabled the firewall and SE Linux on any install.  I can create
and delete file from the nfs mount with no problems as root or any of the
logged in users.  I just don't get the stupid menus.

I did as stated above and disconnected nfs, I then copied all files by "cd
/home/joeuser" then "cp -aR . /tmp/template". Then I mounted nfs and did "cd
/tmp/template" then "cp -aR . /home/jim" and said yes to all of the overwrites
(should have made it cp -aRf or something).  Then I did "chown jim.jim
/home/jim" and fixed the permissions.

I log in and still no stupid menus.  This has to be something simple.  Does
anyone give me example of their /etc/fstab and /etc/exports that is working
for this setup?  I don't get it, I swear I have done this before without any
problems.