[K12OSN] Re: slow as molasses

James P Schwankl schwankl at chatham.k12.nc.us
Mon Nov 21 13:16:31 UTC 2005

Peter wrote:

> Now when I start it up it's INCREDIBLY slow.  Like 10
> minutes to boot.  Really.  One might almost think it's frozen but it's
> just running really slowly.  Launching FireFox takes 30 seconds. I
> haven't made any software changes recently. The cpu usage is fine and
> I'm not inclined to think it's heat related.  I think maybe it's the
> drive but I can't seem to make a bootable dd image.  Has anyone had
> any experiences like this?

Peter,

I once had a client call me to fix a machine that was molasses-like. The had gone into the BIOS and changed a cpu setting to Compatibility Mode. I doubt that's your problem, but thought I'd mention it anyway cause the symptoms match.

Peace,
Jimmy Schwankl

Always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
****This Message was sent through the Chatham County Schools E-Mail Server****

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and
disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.