[K12OSN] smbldap-installer and Ubuntu, EdUbuntu

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Nov 1 03:08:39 UTC 2005

Hi all,
To follow up Matt's message....we talked at length on the phone today.  We
need an AD killer.  The installation of Samba/LDAP is easy enough
now....next we need to begin expanding so that it can be used in a WAN,
multi-server situation.  Also...the Ubuntu version of smbldap-installer
works great!  This is cool for folks who might want to make the switch to
EdUbuntu next school year.  Matt's coding magic has enabled him to come up
with an Ubuntu "answer" to authconfig.  Not real pretty, but it works
(that's what we need it to do).  I am currently working on the docs (major
rewrite) and hope to have them done next week.  Getting time to spend with
my sandbox has been the issue.  DO NOT try it on a production box as there
are MANY changes to how things are done.  Even the add user scripts are a
tad different (bug fixes and moved one field over).  The cool thing....now
that the Ubuntu piece is in place....it SHOULD work with other Debian
distros so long as the packages are in place in their respective repos.  I
don't run AD (Active Directory) at all so it's hard for me to test AD
killer alternatives.  I'm hoping that Matt, Chuck, and I (along with
anyone else who wants to jump in) can find some time to brainstorm the
idea this weekend and beyond.  It'd be really nice to allow folks an easy
way to get off the M$ AD hampster wheel.  So....read Matt's message....and
let's get this discussion underway...Matt and I are ready to tackle this
and it's an idea whose time has come.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School