Re: [K12OSN] smbldap-installer and Ubuntu, EdUbuntu

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, David Trask wrote:

Hi all,
To follow up Matt's message....we talked at length on the phone today.  We
need an AD killer.  The installation of Samba/LDAP is easy enough
now....next we need to begin expanding so that it can be used in a WAN,
multi-server situation.  Also...the Ubuntu version of smbldap-installer
works great!  This is cool for folks who might want to make the switch to
EdUbuntu next school year.  Matt's coding magic has enabled him to come up
with an Ubuntu "answer" to authconfig.  Not real pretty, but it works
(that's what we need it to do).  I am currently working on the docs (major
rewrite) and hope to have them done next week.  Getting time to spend with
my sandbox has been the issue.  DO NOT try it on a production box as there
are MANY changes to how things are done.  Even the add user scripts are a
tad different (bug fixes and moved one field over).  The cool thing....now
that the Ubuntu piece is in place....it SHOULD work with other Debian
distros so long as the packages are in place in their respective repos.  I
don't run AD (Active Directory) at all so it's hard for me to test AD
killer alternatives.  I'm hoping that Matt, Chuck, and I (along with
anyone else who wants to jump in) can find some time to brainstorm the
idea this weekend and beyond.  It'd be really nice to allow folks an easy
way to get off the M$ AD hampster wheel.  So....read Matt's message....and
let's get this discussion underway...Matt and I are ready to tackle this
and it's an idea whose time has come.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcsvikings org
(207)923-3100

As an "early pioneer" in this area, I'm thrilled to see work being
done. I did a bunch of work on LDAP support in Linux long before
K12LTSP.  I was one of the two original creators of the LDAP
support in Samba[1] and have been running OpenLDAP in production since version 1.2.

We currently have 15,000 accounts in our directory servers.

I've been playing with the Fedora Directory Server a little (not
nearly enough) and am very excited about the possibilities there.
A new version of the FDS is due to be released real-soon-now that
includes most, if not all, of the enhancements required to replace
an OpenLDAP server. FDS also is also multi-server/WAN friendly,
has dynamic ACLs, and other such "enterprise" buzz-words. Oh, and
it has a point-and-click management console.

I would *love* to help hack on directory servers as a "sub-topic"
in Montreal. (especially convenient if David and I will be roommates ;-).

-Eric

[1] Well, sorta. My "claim to fame" here is two fold: 1) I did a
    test implementation that was so insanely ugly that it inspired
    Shahms King to do it right[2] and 2) at that point in time Shahms
    was an intern at MESD and it was my job was to sign off on his time
    sheet ;-)

[2] Shahms' patch was officially accepted into Samba 2.2.