[K12OSN] killing Active Directory - direction needed for Samba/LDAP installer

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Nov 1 17:13:06 UTC 2005

> Really? My initial impression was just the opposite, that FDS was easier
> to setup.
>
> I have not played with any of the advanced features in FDS, just a
> couple quick tests to see if it was even possible to replace my OpenLDAP
> servers.

Maybe this was just ignorance on my part, but when I first heard of it I
thought this would be as simple as a yum install fds or something similar.  It
has been a few months since I looked into it but I remeber it being very
scary.  It seamed a person had to be a wizard of LDAP to understand hwo to
install and configure it.  I am of course comparing to the SMB/LDAP install
scripts where knowledge needed is minimal.

I really liked the idea of using FDS, but at the time there was way too much
knowledge involved and what didn't look like a prepackaged solution.  I had
initially assumed this was a yum install and use with a nice gui sort of
application.

Again my hold up was most likely a lack of knowledge and the fact I was
looking for a quick turn key solution.