Re: [K12OSN] killing Active Directory - direction=?ISO-8859-1?Q? needed ?= for Samba/LDAP instal

David Trask wrote:
Tuesday, November 01, 2005 at 12:34 PM +0000 wrote:

FDS has an RPM available & a script that is very much like the SMB/LDAP
install script.  (/opt/fedora-ds/setup/setup)

-Eric

BUT....my reading tells me that the Samba integration stuff is
lacking....am I wrong?  The LDAP is fine, but many of us need to have our
cake and eat it too (or in the case of Windows...be eaten by it)

Keep in mind that FDS is currently a work-in-progress of merging the
Netscape Directory Server into Linux.

The first release may not have been integrated with Samba
out-of-the-box, but I wouldn't be too shocked if the next release did
include the Samba schema by default.

Even in the first release, integrating FDS & Samba is not too much
different than integrating OpenLDAP & Samba:

http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Samba

FDS is not a 100%-clean drop-in replacement for OpenLDAP, at least not
yet. But it is not too far off. In the little bit of playing around with
it that I did, it didn't take me too long (2-3hours?) to have my entire
OpenLDAP database (15,000 accounts) imported into FDS & integrated with
Samba, OSX, etc. No major trauma.

-Eric