[K12OSN] Idea for when Windows programs need to be run...

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Nov 2 03:37:17 UTC 2005

> You know...?  That's an excellent question!  Having never used Kid
> Pix, I have no idea!
>
> I've heard rumor that Kid Pix includes some support for animation, which
> is about the only feature Tux Paint lacks.  (Then again, Tux Paint is
> a painting program... I've always had it in my mind to eventually create
> a full-fledged, Tux Paint-compatible animation program.)
>
> Aside from that, I suppose it's just a matter of figuring out what format
> Kid Pix stores its files in, and if it would be legal to create an import
> tool to handle it.
>
> Tux Paint, of course, uses PNG files and (at least on Linux) comes with
> an import tool so you can throw a collection of JPEGs, GIFs, or whatever
> at it, and they'll appear in Tux Paint's "Open" dialog. ;^)
>
> Anyone here have any idea what Kid Pix uses?

Hey Bill, do you have a mac that could run OS9?  I could send you a copy of
Kid Pix to play with.  We no longer use our OS9 licenses any more and the
CD's are sitting idle.  Heck if you want I can even send you a iMac to play
with.  Not sure if you are interested in even checking it out but it may
give you some ideas.

It seems like Kid Pix is the software for you to beat/replace.  I for one
would love to see you take the market here (Kid Pix is an annoyance for me
in 7 schools I want to switch over to K12LTSP).

For the most part what I see teachers use it for can be completely covered
by Tux Paint.  But the animation feature is one of those must have features
when talk of a replacement software comes up.

Let me know if your game :-)