[K12OSN] Idea for when Windows programs need to be run...

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Nov 2 07:19:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:37:17PM -0600, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Hey Bill, do you have a mac that could run OS9?  I could send you a copy of
> Kid Pix to play with.  We no longer use our OS9 licenses any more and the
> CD's are sitting idle.  Heck if you want I can even send you a iMac to play
> with.  Not sure if you are interested in even checking it out but it may
> give you some ideas.

I've got an iMac donated to me by another Tux4Kids fellow, but it was
refurbished and a LOT of the system software is missing.  It has OS X on it,
but I couldn't get it 'reinstalled' at the Apple store, and haven't felt
like investing ~$140 on something for such an old, slow iMac that I just
haven't had the time to use. :^/

I'm GUESSING it can run OS 9 stuff (isn't that just a feature of OS X?),
so it might be worth a shot.

> It seems like Kid Pix is the software for you to beat/replace.  I for one
> would love to see you take the market here (Kid Pix is an annoyance for me
> in 7 schools I want to switch over to K12LTSP).

Funny you mention it.  I've heard many people say (including people who
were reviewing Tux Paint in magazines/websites) that TP is the best thing
to use as a replacement for Kid Pix, because the old Kid Pix didn't work on
OS X, and they were taking so long to make a new version.

It seems now that there are two versions of Kid Pix for OS X.
The non-Broderbund one got far better reviews.  The sad thing is, the
magazine reviewing it (Childrens Software Revue) had certain complaints
about both versions, and Tux Paint pretty much covered all of it!  Grr!!!

> For the most part what I see teachers use it for can be completely covered
> by Tux Paint.  But the animation feature is one of those must have features
> when talk of a replacement software comes up.

Weird.

I wonder, has anyone thought of simply replacing Kid Pix with
Tux Paint plus an animation program?  For example, this Stop Motion tool?

  http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/studentgrupper/2005-hig-stopmotion/

> Let me know if your game :-)

Okay, sure, I am.  I'll send you my postal address off-list.
I should get _some_ use out of this Mac.  I feel bad letting it just sit
here collecting dust. :^/

-bill!