Re: [K12OSN] init 5

This was discussed a few years ago, so you might dig through the archives. Strictly speaking, no, the server does not have to be in runlevel 5; but then you have to get all the GDM/KDM stuff going manually for the clients to get their login screens. In most cases, it's just easier to run the server in runlevel 5.

rmcdaniel indata us wrote:
Does the LTSP server have to start init 5 to enable the clients to have
a display?  I changed my default init to 3 and rebooted the server,
then my client came up with the infamous "X" on a gray screeen.  When I
changed it back to init 5 and rebooted, the client worked fine.

Ronald R. McDaniel
Conecuh County Schools
(251) 578-7073 x26
(251) 230-0658 cell