[K12OSN] School administration software

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Nov 2 21:23:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 10:52, Curt Craig wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote on Wednesday 02 November 2005 08:28:
> > If you already have windows licenses and just want to avoid the dual
> > boot or extra machine, you might try VMware, especially now that
> > the runtime vmplayer is free.
>
> How many sessions have you been able to run concurrently using VMWare?  We've
> tested it (though not the free version), and performance under load became an
> issue...  Thanks!

I've never tried it for production - just some oddball stuff and
testing.  I have plenty of old PC's around and it didn't make sense
to pay for an extra VMware license to replace them, but now that it
is free I am trying it again.  Unfortunately I'm having some problem
making it work on the one server I have configured for thin clients
and haven't had time to pin down the problem.  From other use, I'd
guess that the real problem is that the memory isn't shared like
normal apps so extra RAM might help, and it probably wouldn't be
a problem for occasional use by teachers.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com