[K12OSN] Re-sent: Upgrade from K12LTSP 4.2 to 4.4.1 how to transfer SMBLDAPinfo

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Fri Nov 4 00:26:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 12:28 +1300, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> I currently have a K12LTSP 4.2 system running with SMBLDAP providing
> authentication and homes users on LTSP client computers and windows
> machines.
> I decided I wanted to try out Crossover Office 5 (but not on the current
> production server), so I have installed K12LTSP 4.4.1 on a new box and
> installed Crossover Office 5. What do I have to do now to set up SMBLDAP and
> transfer all the user authentication info to this new box so it can become
> the official new server and I can use the other server for other purposes.
> I have gigabit connection between the servers, so copying files is pretty
> quick.

I'm hardly an SMBLDAP expert, but my best guess would be to setup the
new box as you did the old box, but make the new box an ldap slave to
the old box and let ldap do all the replication of user data itself.
Once that's done and you're convinced it works, shut down the old ldap
server and "promote" the slave box to being stand-alone and change the
smbldap configs accordingly.

Note that I've never *actually done* any of the above, but it seems like
it ought to work. In theory, anyway.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-