Re: [K12OSN] dhcpd.conf trouble

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Les Mikesell wrote:

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 12:53, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

P.S. If you know of a good tutorial on VLANs, please send me a link, I
must have been dozing off when that was covered :-)

VLANs basically add a small header around the normal ethernet header
to tag packets so they can be isolated.  Sometimes the router/switch
equipment does all of the management, exposing only a single VLAN
on each connection; sometimes you use a trunk connection to other
vlan-aware equipment which then can appear to have multiple virtual
interfaces fron the single physical connection.  I don't think it
is documented very well but Linux is supposed to be able to handle
vlan trunks and sub-interfaces.  But, the point of running the phones
on a different VLAN would be to isolate the traffic physically so
in this case you probably want the switch or router to do it instead
of carrying them over to the server on the same trunk.

Les,
	yes it is my preference to run the phones on a separate physical
segment, but it is not an option. The switch is going in today/tomorrow
and I have to use existing cabling, so the PCs and terminals will attach
to ethernet ports on the phones. The VLAN "thing" according to the Mitel
docs would work somewhat like this:
1. the phone gets dhcp address on VLAN 1 (my current real segment)
192.168.30.x
2. the phone talks to Mitel switch on VLAN 1, gets from it an address on
VLAN 2 (192.168.31.x)
3. the phone releases address on VLAN 1
4. PC gets an address on VLAN 1

I am a bit lost here since I have "missed" the material on VLANs and I am
in NJ, the Mitel switch is in TX and I can't get there before Sunday. It
all needs to work by Monday morning - the old phone setup has cratered, so
I'm getting a new toy and the Company moves to IP phones.

I need to know what to do about VLANs on my HP Procurve switches - not too
hard according to the manuals and what to do about routing between VLANs.
It should be easy, since the whole ball of wax is run on a K12Ltsp server,
but I'm missing some crucial bits here.

julius

Here is a revised sample dhcp.conf that should meet your needs... assuming
that the Mitel kit is providing DHCP on VLAN 2 and your K12LTSP server
is providing DHCP on VLAN 1 (that's how my school district is setup).

        option option-130 code 130 = text;
        option option-132 code 132 = string;
        option option-133 code 133 = string;

        subnet 192.168.30.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
                default-lease-time 86400;
                max-lease-time 864000;
                range 192.168.30.2 192.168.30.254;
                option routers 192.168.30.1;
                option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
                if (option vendor-class-identifier = null) {
                        option option-130 "MITEL IP PHONE";
                        option option-132 0000:0000:0000:0002;
                        option option-133 0000:0000:0000:0005;
                }