[K12OSN] new install help needed

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Nov 7 06:24:50 UTC 2005

Glad to hear it's working.  You can in fact set your DNS manually, but
if DHCP can do it for you, yep, it's easier.

However, as I suspected, there is a potential routing issue here.  Both
of your interfaces are in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet.  That's bad news,
because you may find in the future that your server doesn't know which
packets to route out which interface.  It is possible that your server
could send out half the X11 packets out eth0 and the other half out
eth1!

The last time I made this particular mistake, which was with K12LTSP
4.2.1 (FC3-based) and a very late night so that I was tired (that's my
story and I'm stickin' to it), my clients could connect to my server
just fine, but my server couldn't get out.  Why?  My main LAN also
happens to use 192.168.0.0/24, and eth1 was configured for DHCP (the
default K12LTSP setting).  The server thought that the default gateway
for my network, 192.168.0.1, was reachable from eth0 and thus sent
packets out eth0 to the Internet!  Oops....

Did I mention that I was really, REALLY tired that night?  :-)

Note that many home routers are pre-configured for 192.168.0.0/24.  The
problem is that the K12LTSP default on eth0 is also 192.168.0.0/24.
Thus, you have *two* possible paths to the default gateway--eth0 *and*
eth1.  Now the server's gotta pick which one.  Basically, you got lucky,
because, as your netstat -rn output shows, your server happened to
choose eth1, but don't expect to be able to hook up a thick client to
your eth0 segment and have things work.  What should be done during a
dual-NIC LTSP server of any sort (including K12LTSP) is to choose an IP
subnet for the clients that is different from the main LAN.  The server
that I use for demos at schools currently uses 172.31.0.0/24, since
nobody seems to choose that range (fingers crossed!).

BTW, despite the existence of OpenOffice.org, it's probably a good idea
to submit attachments in something other than the proprietary MS Word
doc format (e. g. RTF or even plain text).  This is, after all, a Free
Software mailing list.  :-)

--TP
--Microsoft Free Since 2003