Re: [K12OSN] server specs for K12LTSP

Quentin Hartman wrote:
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 09:35 -0500, Dan Hopson wrote:

I am needing minimum and medium range server specs to run K12LTSP to a 24-station lab here at the school. I would like to stay with Opteron CPUs. Thanks

I recently built the following machines for about $2500:

-Single Opto 265 Processor
-4GB RAM
-Dual SATA drives
-Dual GB NIC

And they are each serving 25-50 clients quite comfortably. I do have the
home directories off-loaded to another machine (accessed via NFS on the
second GB interface) though, so you may want to go up to 10K RPM SATA
drives or SCSI if budget allows.

This brings up an interesting question (well, I think it's interesting): At what point does it become justifiably beneficial to use a dual processor system? Quentin, when you say 'serving 25-50 clients quite comfortably' do you mean it can handle 50 clients all logged in and working? In Unix, memory has (almost) always mattered more than processor power, and with 4GB I can believe you could handle 50 simultaneous clients. Is there enough of a performance gain to actually justify dual processors?

Petre