Re: [K12OSN] server specs for K12LTSP

thanks for your help quentin...could you specify what mb you purchased and what size drives you are using...also are you using RAID and if so which level RAID? thanks again, dan.

From: Quentin Hartman <qhartman lane k12 or us>
To: "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] server specs for K12LTSP
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 08:30:15 -0800

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 09:35 -0500, Dan Hopson wrote:
> I am needing minimum and medium range server specs to run K12LTSP to a
> 24-station lab here at the school. I would like to stay with Opteron CPUs.
> Thanks

I recently built the following machines for about $2500:

-Single Opto 265 Processor
-4GB RAM
-Dual SATA drives
-Dual GB NIC

And they are each serving 25-50 clients quite comfortably. I do have the
home directories off-loaded to another machine (accessed via NFS on the
second GB interface) though, so you may want to go up to 10K RPM SATA
drives or SCSI if budget allows.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-